Friday, January 30, 2009

Etch-A-Sketch

For decades it has been the family joke, and sad reality, that we have a Camera Curse hanging over us. Not just one or two of the family, but all of us, at one time or another. Now it has even infected the next generation! Classic photo op, no camera. Camera, no film. Camera and film, dead battery. Camera, film and battery, chop off heads. Once in a while, we can sneak in some good photos, only with persistence. I've been determined over the years to overcome the curse. In the days of film, I taped 2 canisters to my case, one for extra film, the second for extra battery. Then, I would take many exposures of one shot, and manage to get a keeper.

Today, my sweet new underwater Olympus 1030SW was on it's second photo and whale safari. I kayaked into whale heaven, between 2 pairs of whales, continually up for series of breaths. After I played in the water and recorded the song with sunlight rays dancing, my camera screen went blank. I fiddled and played with buttons, and still dark screen. My camera continued to make noise, so I continued to shoot multiple photos of each pairs surface intervals. I downloaded card via my land camera. Here is mugshot of the culprit!

On dry land, upon opening the battery compartment, drops of salt water dripped out. Tonight, my screen looks like an Etch-a-Sketch with fog, water trails and puddles.

No water photos for a week due to equipment malfunction. I will ziplock my dry land camera for next kayak adventure. I am stronger than the curse!

2 comments:

  1. I HATE cameras almost as much as I hate computers. I am so sorry this happened. I've lost a few cameras myself to drowning. It is inevitable, I know it will happen for sure to every underwater camera of mine; I just always hope it will be later rather than sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNN sheeshhh im sorry. dont give up !!!

    ReplyDelete