Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bitter Sweet Last Day....ROATAN

Last full day! Sad!

"Hole In The Wall" dive site is reputed one of the best dives in Roatan. My dive yesterday was preparation to get my comfort level back for today's dive to descend through a hole, come out at 100 feet, and finish the dive ascending up the wall. I didn't have my comfort level up for that intricate dive, and was told Hole In The Wall "Shallow" was a great dive, with multiple "swim throughs" with plenty of beauty.

I give a wave to anyone at my home Land's End as our dive boat zips past. I am surprised as we moor on a buoy right at my favorite backyard swim! We bid fun, beauty and safety to the first dive group descending through the hole, and we descend next. Different from my swims on this reef, now I am up close and personal to my neighborhood nautical friends. I see the young Hawksbill I have followed on other swims.

We do not have the same idea of "swim throughs". On this dive, we merely follow up and "swim through" a sandy canyon, reef walls on each side and into another sandy canyon, reef walls on each side. I have swam over these canyons numerous times. Well, I must say, diving Roatan is only a little bit more exciting than what I have been swimming in the past 2 weeks.

The afternoon with mom and Karen, we make the most of our last day with our favorite Coconut Shrimp lunch at local Half Moon Restaurant deck, get into town for some shopping and remembrances of our special time on Roatan. Mom finds a whimsical magnet gecko, Karen and I find some beautiful earrings. Our last day would not be complete without a margarita at Sundowner's palapa on the beach.

Our last supper choice is the Thai restaurant, and they have a special table for us on the dock over the water. The light attracts rays as they swim under us, and the dark horizon flashes with a distant storm. A bitter sweet send off!

No comments:

Post a Comment