Monday, April 27, 2009

Silver Backs....ROATAN

KABOOM! Shook us awake at dawn, I leap out of bed and on to lanai for front row seat of lightening show over the ocean. Off shore is a dark squall, it let's out a few more bolts of lightening with loud claps of thunder and away it rolls across the ocean and dissipates. Quick show!

Good, I don't want a storm to ruin my scuba dive adventure today. With Roatan being a world class scuba destination, I must to go down under, blow some bubbles and see what all the fuss is about. Buoys line the entire near shore reef, not to designate a no boat zone, but are moorings for dive sites. I join the dive gang at the shop, get geared up, site orientation, jump on the boat, with a quick ride to tie off to an off shore buoy. I put on my BCD with tank and roll off the side of the boat and descend to join the other "silver backs" on the bottom. I enjoy the buoyancy and weightless floatation of scuba diving and to be face to face with all my finned friends, looking into holes and under overhangs on "Planter's Punch" reef. This is the same world I have swam over as an observer, now I feel like a participant of the reef activity.

Back at Land's End, I have to catch up to Mom and Karen's relaxation mode with some hammock, pool float, book and nap time.

After a nice sunset on our lanai, we head into town for some shopping and over water, dock dining. During our stroll comes the squall with a tropical downpour as we take cover under a tree. We are wet, but on this warm, tropical night, we dry off quick. We are on Roatan, and nothing can bother us.

No comments:

Post a Comment