Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Barnyard Squeaky Gate


Today is an eerie calm before the storm, due to hit Maui softly this afternoon. Maui's southern neighbor, Big Island has flash flood and winter weather advisories, with up to 3-5" snow expected on the summit of Mauna Kea, which appropriately means White Mountain.

I finally got flat and calm waters on my morning kayak session. Quiet waters they were not. The song of a humpback whale could be heard above water as I sat in my kayak. Sure enough, when I dove in, the song vibrated my belly it was so loud. The heard but not seen nearby singer sounded like a creaking squeaking gate in a barnyard, as secondary sounds from him or others were a cacophony of barnyard animal sounds.

I launched from Cove Park and paddled past the hydrophone buoy of www.whalesong.net. If you were listening this morning from 8:30-10, you heard the same whale live. Tune in now, see if the same song is playing. Do you agree that sounds like a squeaky gate in a barnyard?

No comments:

Post a Comment