Thursday, March 5, 2009

Whale Soup

Whales are everywhere! On, under and breaching over the water during this peak of whale season. Today, on my kayak, even with a swell bumping up the surface, and the wind blowing the spray and sound away quickly, I could observe and hear whales close, far and way distant.

When I heard a swish, I looked to my left to see a huge, up to 45 feet and 40 ton whale in full breach. The whale seemed to rise out of the water in slow motion and do a twist in the air. He was stalled in the air for a moment as I could hear the water running off his body. The thud he came down with was felt in my belly. What a thrill!

Whale photography is extremely challenging. After missing the shot of a whale breach right next to me, I have now perfected holding my camera in my hand while paddling, ready for that prize photo op. I am still waiting!

The prize photo was obtained when a mom and baby swam under my kayak and I held the camera under the water. That is baby looking straight up at me, zoomed in,with mom next to her. When I zoomed out, there they go, swimming away.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!Impressive writing and PICS. Was led here from my lurking on Don's site after he mentioned the shark...incident. Again, wow! Wondering where you were specifically (so I can avoid it...not as brave as you)

    ReplyDelete