Thursday, February 5, 2009

Baby Whale's First Breaths

There was lots of surface activity with the whale pod I observed from my kayak. A few mature whales and one baby were up, down, breath, mellow roll, breath, tail, baby spy hop, breath, mellow back, baby spy hop...

Human Interpretation: I believe I was witnessing a whale birth and the first breaths of a 2 1/2 ton baby Humpback whale. There were about 3 mature whales, I would call them midwives, and a mom and a small baby. It appeared the little spy hops of baby could have been the first breaths as assisted by a nudge from mom below it.

Warning! Do not open video if you are prone to motion sickness! This video is low quality, far distance (legal 100 yards), but due to subject matter, I had to publish it. Sorry, I completely got camera off mark while I was exclaiming to friend next to me. Yet, it is all interesting video, if you can get past the rolling waves and rolling camera person (me). Next time I will pay more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment