Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Home Sweet Fragrant Home

The sweet fragrance of Night Blooming Jasmine welcomed me when I arrived home from work tonight.

This "Queen of the Night" plant is strategically planted at my entrance, to greet me as I come and go, to waft the sweet fragrances into my home, or to lure me outside at night. The blossoms open and scent the tropical air only at night. During the day, the blossoms close and are fragrance free.

In the "olden days" these plants were planted near outhouses to mask the odor! It does send it's scent out far and wide! At times, I can smell the plant from the bottom of my driveway. Or, when the plant in the back corner of my yard is blooming, unbeknownst to me, I learn its secret quickly by following the scent to the recesses of my yard.

1 comment:

  1. LOL LYNN .. got one planted outside my front door also.... Blooming good , smelling wonderfully !! They are beautiful plants to have !!

    ReplyDelete