Monday, February 16, 2009

Spinner Dolphins!

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I got to play, dance and sing with a pod of over 30 Spinner Dolphins today!

Dolphins hunt at night, and by day come into the shelter of sandy bottom, clear water bays to play, socialize and sleep. The well fed dolphins today started a bit playful and interactive, with eye contact and teases to dance with me, belly tickling each other and the leaf game. Throughout my time with them, I noticed the pod begin to tighten and swim closer together, their breath became synchronized, with 2-4 breaths at the surface as a group, then group dive to swim deep and close in a hypnotic pattern. While a dolphin sleeps, 1/2 the brain will shut down for the rest, and 1/2 the brain will continue voluntary breath and predator watch.

The Dolphin Fun video show the rambunctious rascal teasing me into a dance, by circling around me, enticing me to follow. Notice when they are deep, the playful one is upside down under the other, tickling his friend's chin. Now comes the leaf game. They begin to circle around the leaf, and he picks it up with his right fin, the next group come in, with a leaf on the left fin. They love the leaf game, picking it up with, or transferring it to and from forehead, pec fin, tail, drop it and circle to pick it up again. Good fun!

They love to make me do silly human tricks. To pick up the leaf after they drop it, then I dive it down for them to pick up. This gets a giggle out of the dolphins!

2 comments:

  1. lol.. beautiful video lynn. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Very impressed by the great video!!! Makes me want to go right away swimming with you and dolphins.....
    Love the music choice also!

    Warf very much, Gigi

    ReplyDelete